This weekend of Open Gardens is going to be a real treat with heaps on offer at both Wodonga West Primary School’s Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden, and the private garden of Jacky Cronin – the school’s kitchen specialist.
Together these two gardens illustrate how sustainability can work at both a community and an individual level - and be fun for all ages.
As well as the two fantastic gardens, there will also be lots of supporting activities all weekend.
Wodonga West Primary School garden
A Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation school since 2009, the kitchen gardens now feed 300 students fortnightly and incorporate garden beds, an orchard, outdoor learning area, water tanks and composting facilities. A community wood-fired pizza oven and parterre garden allow wider community involvement.
- Scarecrow competition, entries by the students
- Photo board display of students describing their favourite things in the garden
- Garden-inspired art by the students
- No-dig garden demonstrations
- Check out the school’s kitchen
- Garden produce stall with vegies/plants grown by the students, plus preserves and dried herbs made in the kitchen
- Preserve sampling
- Raffle of a picnic basket filled with garden produce and preserves
A happy integration of flourishing vegetables in decorative flower beds, ensuring something to see all year round in an attractive garden catering for the whole family. Herbs and dedicated vegetable areas including heirloom varieties. Salvia collection. Chooks and water tank.
- Fruit fly information, organic prevention demonstrations and advice
- Seed cleaning demonstrations and seed saving information by Seed Savers Albury Wodonga
- Seeds and plants for sale
- Info on growing potatoes in no-dig beds
- History of the garden
- Inspiration from Jacky about the seasonal changes in her ‘a year in my garden’ notes
There will be information sheets available for each garden and you can talk to those involved. Students will help visitors tour the school garden and be available to answer questions.
When: Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd of April, 10am to 4:30pm each day
Where: Lawrence St, Wodonga and Bownds St, Lavington (directional signs will be out nearby)
Cost: $8 for entry to both gardens, under 18s free – proceeds support local community groups